Saturday, September 29, 2012

Easy wash Cushion Covers

 I am a big fan of cushions, now what girl isn't. What I dread is the Laundry/Dry cleaning part of handling cushions that are used daily - On couches, your favourite chair, the reading nook and so on..

While I experimented with some of the ready made stuff available at most HOME DECOR stores - I especially don't like the cushions made of non natural fibers. They seem to cause such "heat" when just sitting near the. Then there is the added "Dry Clean" cost as most of them look like rag cloth if put into the washing machine.

I was looking for some easy washable, cool, comfortable cloth that one can make cushions out of, and that's when it hit me  - The cotton/"mul" fabrics that we make kurtis/salwars(clothes) out of that are easily washable and breathable fabrics! They will look different from the run of the mill cushion covers that most households would have already bought and should be less expensive than the high end stores that sell cotton and hand printed something or the other that most "society wives" are seen shopping at..

So, scouring some wholesale cloth markets, I targeted cloth pieces that were almost last of the bale, or "odd quantity left", and some were of course worth being cut from a bale due to their throwaway prices!

Went to a "small time tailor" in Mumbai who does furnishings, and bed covers etc at my parents home for quite some time now and gave him the idea of what I wanted out of the cloth!   Voila. My cushions were ready.





Love the vibrant colours and the fact that they can be machine washed, YAY!


No comments:

Post a Comment