Wednesday, April 15, 2015

De clutter and organizing part II

 I read somewhere that one should buy items that bring "joy" Example, I often find myself taking the same clothes out of the wardrobe to wear, similar story for my one year old daughter. I also find that there are only certain things we need more often than others. So why is every drawer and every wardrobe filled - I ask myself. 

I simply started tackling my wardrobe one shelf at a time. Anything more than that I couldn't handle due to time constraints and a toddler who needs my attention. 

A) Here's what I did with clothes(dresses/saree blouses/jeans etc)

1. Looked at shelves of clothes and sorted them to 'will wear', won't wear/doesn't fit 

2. Sorted them into piles, that I knew whom to give away to. Some were to my domestic help and I also made a separate pile for giving to Hijras/transgender/transvestites who usually beg around traffic signals. 

3) some dresses with too much embellishments especially since I don't want to hurt the baby as I carry her and won't be wearing some of this stuff for a while. Why store it ?

4) My night dresses were donated to a convalescence home where they need soft nightdresses.

B) Made a collection of cosmetics like foundation, eye makeup, etc that were within their expiry dates but I just knew were a bad or impulse purchase in the first place and put them in the pile to gift to the Hijras/transgenders near our home 

C) Beauty items like extra hair blowdryers/straighteners were given to a small local beautyparlour. 

D) My husband and I sorted our footwear to be given away to people who can still use them. I have stopped wearing heels(as carry my toddler) and haven't worn heels ever since I got pregnant. So there's that. 

E) extra watches and sunglasses were gifted as I cannot use sunglasses unless they are prescription ones. Accessories that were kept just for sentimental value for so many years, some of which could have been used by some trendy teen sooner than later as vintage chic :)

F) I get my baby's clothes sorted and give them to two sets of people who have babies a few months younger than mine, I also try to minimize the number of toys she has. I regift them to people who can use it. 

G) We bought two new pillows and gave away 6 old ones. Again sorted among my domestic help who were more than happy to take it home. 

That's when I realized how much stuff was just lying around, right from reasons like "in case we have guests" " in case we need it sometime in the future " " I case this and in case that" seriously a bad habit. 

I have a new love and that is to have at least one empty shelf in every wardrobe. Or one empty drawer out of two. And I still have a long way to go to live minimalistically . First step is to stop buying things I don't need. Sigh, getting there...

2 comments:

  1. Great job done! This has to be done periodically. We should also plan & do away with old stuff .👍 in our house more than clothes we are slow in disposing old books & magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job done! This has to be done periodically. We should also plan & do away with old stuff .👍 in our house more than clothes we are slow in disposing old books & magazines.

    ReplyDelete